Mindful Beauty Practices
Posted on April 3, 2015 by Gordon Beauty Blogger
Hey guys! It’s Earth Month. As one of Chicago’s top salons, we plan for this month all year long. As an Aveda Lifestyle Salon, this is the month we live for. There are a million things we can do to support the planet we live on, and they can be done all year, not just in one month. But we know how it is. Life gets in the way. It’s hard sometimes to work new things into your routine. We try to incorporate small sustainable practices into our beauty routines. What better way to start a new good habit than working it into a habit you already have? Here are some tiny things you can do to make a big difference to Earth.
1. Turn the water off while you apply and wait for your hair masque to set while in the shower. It might be cold but that will only allow the masque to invigorate your hair cuticle more. If you don’t want to turn it off while you wait, at least wash your body or do something else useful with that running water.
2. Use a washcloth to remove makeup instead of cotton pads or tissues. Washcloths or towels can be reused, cotton pads cannot.
3. Turn the water off while brushing your teeth. Keeping the water running for just 2 minutes while you brush your teeth can waste up to 5 gallons of water in just one day!
4. Recycle your old and empty shampoo and conditioner bottles. Did you know all of Aveda’s containers are made from post-consumer recycled materials? They are! So continue the process by recycling them again. You can also save the smaller bottles and refill them with your larger ones. Sometimes the small ones fit better on a shower shelf or in a gym bag.
5. Don’t leave your hot tools plugged in. Even if they are off, they will still be using power. Leaving them unplugged is not only good for the Earth’s energy supply, it will keep your electric bill down too!
6. Use Aveda! All of Aveda’s products are up to 99 percent naturally derived and have organic ingredients. Just by using an Aveda shampoo or body lotion you are already contributing to sustainable practices and an eco-friendly way of life.